Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Two weeks to go

Today is the first of September.  In two weeks' time, you will turn the big ONE!  You're chatting up a storm, babbling the day away and playing with your plastic fruit with the vigor of a professional baseball pitcher.  I have never seen a child so young whip toys around in your style. 

On Sunday, you took six steps in the kitchen without faltering, your arms held out demanding Pirate's Booty from me.  I was amazed.  Just today, you managed to walk across the room and I only realized it after turning back around to behold you making a beeline for the glider.  Most of the time, though, you scoot around doing the "penitent shuffle" with one knee bent and the other extended parallel to the floor.  It's odd and amusing and totally you.  I suppose you can move faster that way in this half-walk, half-crawl as you gain confidence in taking steps.

Today we ordered your birthday cupcakes and yes, I will be the first to admit, I caved and got you your very own smash cake.  I detest that tradition but it's crowd pleasing and, well, tradition.  Your outfit(s) are chosen and so are ours.  Now all we have to do is order the food, the keg, buy the wine, track down the final few RSVPs and then we're more or less ready for showtime. 

In other news, now is as good a time as any to break it to you: mama is currently in cycle for an FET planned for September 13.  That's right, kiddo: you could be a big sister come June.  It's excited and nerve-wracking, even though we're graduates of the process.  We're planning around your actual birthday and the party so hopefully my uterus cooperates and gets this show on the road.   I have to go two full days without lifting you or doing anything strenuous at all and that's tough with one very active and demanding toddler.  It's going to be so hard but if it works, I'd like to think it's worth the temporary inconvenience for both of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment